The Belmont Foundation
The Belmont Foundation is the philanthropic arm of Belmont Estate dedicated to community development, education and self-empowerment for local people in need.
Founded in September 2004 as Hearts and Hands Foundation, after the devastating effects of Hurricane Ivan, The Belmont Foundation was later incorporated as a not-for-profit, non-Government Organization.
With generous support from friends and partners locally, regionally and internationally, The Belmont Foundation supports, organizes, coordinates and executes projects and activities that educate, empower, develop and improve the quality of life of vulnerable persons in the rural north of Grenada.
The work of the Foundation is administered through volunteers, who are employees of Belmont Estate.
To provide and create long term stability for the vulnerable persons within our rural communities through programmes, projects and activities that will improve their quality of life and community.
WHAT WE DO
- Elderly care - weekly soup kitchen, Christmas food drive, medical assistance, housing assistance;
- Educational Support - assistance with tuition, transportation and books; professional developmental classes;
- Social and Health Awareness - tangible and intangible support to activities like breast cancer walk, Kidney Foundation, Child Month activities, etc.;
- Environmental Awareness – clean-up campaigns, workshops
ONGOING PROJECTS AND ACTIVITIES
- Weekly Meal Distribution- As part of our reaching out, we prepare and deliver hot meals every week to more than 40 Elderly persons and less fortunate in our surrounding communities.
- Annual Food Hamper Distribution- Christmas is known as the time for giving, so annually we package and distribute food Hampers/Baskets within the various communities surrounding us.
- Norbert and Lyris Scholarship Fund – Awards the most successful student from the Sacred Heart Catholic School at the Caribbean Primary Exit Assessment for up to five of his/her secondary school education. Currently supporting four students
- Environmental clean-ups and awareness
- Support for health and social causes
- Etiquette classes for students at Secondary Schools
- Sponsorship of signage for Charles Home for the Aged
- Established of a thrift/ charity shop
- Etiquette Camp for Teens
- Assistance with covering walkway of Hermitage Government School
- Financial aid for student to complete Spanish Course in Venezuela.
- Financial aid for student complete studies at T.A. Marryshow Community College
- Easter Kite Flying Competition and Community Fun Day
- Summer School for children in the community
- Boys’ Summer Camp
- School Books and Uniform Distribution
- Construction of home for elderly female in Ahoma
- Support for 15 female farmers through funding from Food and Agriculture Organisation
- Modern Language Class (French) for adults and children
- Adult Literacy Class with support from the with the Ministry of Education
HOW CAN YOU ASSIST?
- Spread the word
YOUR ASSISTANCE WILL HELP:
- Provide a hot meal to an elderly person
- Provide food assistance during the holiday season
- Assist with medical and dental care
- Assist a child with his /her education
- Provide outreach support for social, health and environmental programmes
- Help mold young men and women into responsible citizen through education, social and environmentally engaging programmes